Saturday, October 24, 2009

Del Shores

 Del Shores wears many hats. Accomplished playwright, screenwriter, director, producer, husband, and loving father. He took the time to talk to me. I could not thank him enough enjoy.





I live in a small town in Boone County, West Virginia. A place where you can find out anything about anyone in about five minutes. Hunting is a religion. Everyone knows your business. Most are willing to help each other and most own an arsenal. The gossip either at church or at the grocery store is better than a telephone. Did you fit the mold of a good southern boy, or feel as if you had to fit the mold of what was expected? What do you look fondly on in those times?

I loved my childhood in small town Texas, but always felt different.  I couldn't relate to my cousins who rodeoed or killed animals, but found a home in the drama department at school.  My mom was the high school drama teacher.  So, plays and speech contests were my life in high school.  Lots of girls for friends, couldn't relate to guys (but secretly had a few crushes).


A rural town can become it's own universe and most cut themselves off from the rest of the world. Did you feel you had to foster your own creativity as most do in such a small area?  

 Yes, my mind went nuts.  I created, fantasized and dreamed a lot.




Did being a gay man play a part in that as well?

Yes, being the son of a Southern Baptist preacher, I learn to hate that part of me and suppress.  And distract.  I think I was so driven with ambition because it distracted me from being gay



I know that faith is a huge part in this neck of the woods.  I was raised Church of Christ but watching the lip service paid by some did seem the norm. Well that or as I call it church wars, but maybe that's just a local custom. Hypocrisy runs deep sometimes. Did your faith ever cause you problems? How did you deal with that?

All you have to do is read my play "Southern Baptist Sissies" to know how deeply that played a part -- and the damage the teachings of the church caused.  I dealt with it by being closeted for years, then lots of therapy, then writing about and now activism.




I have two aunt Sissy's. My great aunt Deloris was the one who would call my mamaw up late at night drunk as hell and sing to her. We all have those eccentric family members. Who were the people in your life that inspired your characters?

My Mom, my real Aunt Sissy, my great grandmother Mama Merck, my aunt Reta -- the list is endless.  As I say in my one-man show, I don't write, I steal.



Do you think that most southern men and women think that you are making fun of the people that we have lived with all our lives?
  
Mostly no.  They relate and see how real they are.
  


Is it a way to honor them?

I think so.


Most people do not think that happens to be the normal way of life around these parts. I guess when your looking from the outside in that can happen.


 I know that you have been married to Jason Dottley for some time now. I know that we have a long way to go with the issue of gay marriage. How do you see the fight for gay marriage, especially in the south coming along in this day and age?


So much slower in the South, but I do see that there is progress.  I'm in Dallas right now and there is a huge gay populations.  Putting a face on gay is what is going to change all this.   My daughter Carrie said it best when Prop 8 passed.  She said, "Daddy, don't worry.  They're all going to die.  My generation doesn't care."


  What are your thoughts of the passing of The Mathew Sheppard Act?


I'm beyond thrilled.  I was just given the Making A Difference AWard by MSF last week (along with Leslie Jordan).  What an amazing organization and Judy Shepard is my hero.  Twelve years she fought for this!


 What of all the things you have accomplished with your plays, movies, the TV show, and The "A Sordid Affair Comedy Tour" that sticks out as the one thing you will remember most?



The stories the fans tell me about how my work has healed them, helped them, made their lives better -- allowed them to come out, given them strength





What brings that great smile to that face of yours these days?



I'm happy.  I have an amazing husband.  My daughters are just remarkable.  And even with all the financial mess this last year, I know that I have had a great ride -- and will continue to do so.   And the love of the fans.  They make me smile!





I would once again like to express my sincerest thanks to Del for taking the time out of his very busy schedule for talking to me.


Please check out his own personal site Here. 
as well as his very talented husband Jason Dottley.
If you have not seen his work, I suggest you do as soon as possible. Thanks again Del, JD

No comments: